[Numpy-discussion] OS X Lion: llvm: numpy and scipy

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:05:28 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Samuel John <scipy at samueljohn.de> wrote:

> Ahoy numpy gurus :-)
>
> Would it be possible to adapt the setup.py and/or numpy/distutils to set
> the right variables on Mac OS X 10.7? (see below).
> I have looked a bit into the setup.py and the distutils package of numpy
> but I am a bit lost.
>
> Do you think it's possible to teach numpy to use different CC, CXX?

This is possible, but numpy probably shouldn't mess with these variables. As
a user you can set them permanently by adding them to your bash_profile for
example.

And the FFLAGS

This needs to be solved. Perhaps the solution involves more wrappers for
broken vecLib/Accelerate functions in scipy? Does anyone know which routines
are broken on 10.7? For 10.6 I found this discussion helpful:
http://www.macresearch.org/lapackblas-fortran-106. It is claimed there that
while '-ff2c' fixes complex routines, it breaks SDOT when used with '-m64'.
SDOT is used in linalg.

> and the switch --fcompiler=gnu95 arg?

This shouldn't be necessary if you only have gfortran installed.

Ralf