[Numpy-discussion] Bitwise operations and unsigned types

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Fri Apr 6 01:57:26 EDT 2012

As of 1.5.1 this worked:

>>> numpy.__version__
1.5.1
>>> numpy.uint64(5) & 3
1L

So, this is a regression and a bug.   It should be fixed so that it doesn't raise an error.  I believe the scalars were special cased so that a raw 3 would not be interpreted as a signed int when it is clearly unsigned.      The casting rules were well established over a long period.  They had issues, but they should not have been changed like this in a 1.X release.

Fortunately there are work-arounds and these issues arise only in corner cases, but we should strive to do better.

-Travis