[Numpy-discussion] Getting C-function pointers from Python to C

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Tue Apr 10 09:49:40 EDT 2012

On 04/10/2012 03:38 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
> On 04/10/2012 03:29 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
>> <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no>   wrote:

>>> Rereading this, perhaps this is the statement you seek: Yes, doing a
>>> simple strcmp is much, much faster than jumping all around in memory to
>>> check the equality of two lists of dtypes. If it is a string less than 8
>>> bytes in length with the comparison string known at compile-time (the
>>> Cython case) then the comparison is only a couple of CPU instructions,
>>> as you can check 64 bits at the time.
>>
>> Right, that's what I wasn't getting until you mentioned strcmp :-).
>>
>> That said, the core numpy dtypes are singletons. For this purpose, the
>> signature could be stored as C array of PyArray_Descr*, but even if we
>> store it in a Python tuple/list, we'd still end up with a contiguous
>> array of PyArray_Descr*'s. (I'm assuming that we would guarantee that
>> it was always-and-only a real PyTupleObject* here.) So for the
>> function we're talking about, the check would compile down to doing
>> the equivalent of a 3*pointersize-byte strcmp, instead of a 5-byte
>> strcmp. That's admittedly worse, but I think the difference between
>> these two comparisons is unlikely to be measurable, considering that
>> they're followed immediately by a cache miss when we actually jump to
>> the function pointer.

Actually, I think the performance hit is a problem in the Cython case.
While there's no place to explicitly pre-check the signature, it will
very often be the case that everything is in L1 cache already. Consider
f being called in a loop. (And the whole point of the exercise is to
avoid for the user having to type the "func" argument)

Dag