[Numpy-discussion] YouTrack testbed

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 10 15:40:46 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Bryan Van de Ven <bryanv at continuum.io>wrote:

> On 4/3/12 4:18 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > Here some first impressions.
> >
> > The good:
> > - It's responsive!
> > - It remembers my preferences (view type, # of issues per page, etc.)
> > - Editing multiple issues with the command window is easy.
> > - Search and filter functionality is powerful
> >
> > The bad:
> > - Multiple projects are supported, but issues are then really mixed.
> > The way this works doesn't look very useful for combined admin of
> > numpy/scipy trackers.
> > - I haven't found a way yet to make versions and subsystems appear in
> > the one-line issue overview.
> > - Fixed issues are still shown by default. There are several open
> > issues filed against youtrack about this, with no reasonable answers.
> > - Plain text attachments (.txt, .diff, .patch) can't be viewed, only
> > downloaded.
> > - No direct VCS integration, only via Teamcity (not set up, so can't
> > evaluate).
> > - No useful default views as in Trac
> > (http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/report).
>
> Ralf,  regarding some of the issues:

Hi Bryan, thanks for looking into this.

> I think for numpy/scipy trackers, we could simply run separate instances
> of YouTrack for each.

That would work. It does mean that there's no maintenance advantage over
using Trac here.

Also we can certainly create some standard
> queries. It's a small pain not to have useful defaults, but it's only a
> one-time pain. :)

That should help.

> Also, what kind of integration are you looking for with github? There
> does appear to be the ability to issue commands to youtrack through git
> commits, which does not depend on TeamCity, as best I can tell:
>
> http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/YTD3/GitHub+Integration
> http://blogs.jetbrains.com/youtrack/tag/github-integration/
>
> I'm not sure this is what you were thinking about though.

That does help. The other thing that's useful is to reference commits (like
commit:abcd123 in current Trac) and have them turned into links to commits
on Github. This is not a showstopper for me though.

> For the other issues, Maggie or I can try and see what we can find out
> about implementing them, or working around them, this week.

I'd say that from the issues I mentioned, the biggest one is the one-line
view. So these two:
  - I haven't found a way yet to make versions and subsystems appear in
    the one-line issue overview.
  - Fixed issues are still shown by default. There are several open
    issues filed against youtrack about this, with no reasonable answers.

> Of course, we'd like to evaluate any other viable issue trackers as
> well. Do you have any suggestions for other systems besides YouTrack?

David wrote up some issues (some of which I didn't check) with current Trac
and looked at Redmine before. He also mentioned Roundup. See
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/ImprovingIssueWorkflow

Redmine does look good from a quick browse (better view, does display
diffs). It would be good to get the opinions of a few more people on this
topic.

Cheers,
Ralf