[Numpy-discussion] RuntimeWarning: numpy.ndarray size changed

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:11:53 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Nils Wagner
<nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can someone reproduce the following message ?
>
> Python 2.7.2 (default, Aug 19 2011, 20:41:43) [GCC] on
> linux2
> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
> information.
>
> /home/nwagner/local/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/random/__init__.py:91:
> RuntimeWarning: numpy.ndarray size changed, may indicate
> binary incompatibility
>   from mtrand import *
>  >> numpy.__version__
> '1.7.0.dev-9aac543'

It's a harmless artifact. When NO_DEPRECATED_API is defined, the ndarray
structure is hidden so that direct member access raises a compile error.
This confuses the heck out of Cython. There is a fairly recent post on the
Cython mailing list about it. For release we will disable the warning so
that it won't bother anyone.

Chuck