[Numpy-discussion] Removing masked arrays for 1.7? (Was 1.7 blockers)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 16 19:01:25 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > That's the first time I've heard this. Until now, we have talked a lot
> about
> > adding bitmasks and API changes, not about complete removal. My
> assumption
> > was that the experimental label was enough. From Nathaniel's reaction I
> > gathered the same. It looks like too many conversations on this topic are
> > happening off-list.
>
> My impression was that Travis was just suggesting that as an option
> here for discussion, not presenting it as something discussed
> elsewhere.

>From "I have heard from a few people that they are not excited ...." I
deduce it was discussed to some extent.

I read Travis' email precisely as restarting the
> discussion for consideration of the issues in full public view

It wasn't restating anything, it's completely opposite to the part that I
thought we did reach consensus on (*not* backing out changes). I stated as
much when first discussing a 1.7.0 in December,
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/47022/focus=47027,
with no one disagreeing.

It's perfectly fine to reconsider any previous decisions/discussions of
course.

However, I do now draw the conclusion that it's best to wait for this issue
to be resolved before considering a new release. I had been working on
closing tickets and cleaning up loose ends for 1.7.0, and pinging others to
do the same. I guess I'll stop doing that for now, until the renewed NA
debate has been settled.

If there are bug fixes that are important (like the Debian segfaults with
Python debug builds), we can do a 1.6.2 release.

Ralf

(+