[Numpy-discussion] Removing masked arrays for 1.7? (Was 1.7 blockers)

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 20:46:55 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io>wrote:

> The comments I have heard have been from people who haven't wanted to make
> them on this list.   I wish they would, but I understand that not everyone
> wants to be drawn into a long discussion.    They have not been discussions.
>
> My bias is to just move forward with what is there.   After a week or two
> of discussion, I expect that we will resolve this one way or another.  The
> result be to just move forward as previously planned.  However, that might
> not be the best move forward either.   These are significant changes and
> they do impact users.  We need to understand those implications and take
> very seriously any concerns from users.
>
> There is time to look at this carefully.   We need to take the time.   I
> am really posting so that the discussions Mark and I have this week (I
> haven't seen Mark since PyCon) can be productive with as many other people
> participating as possible.

I would suggest the you and Mark have a good talk first, then report here
with some specifics that you think need discussion, along with specifics
from the unnamed sources. The somewhat vague "some say" doesn't help much
and in the absence of specifics the discussion is likely to proceed along
the same old lines if it happens at all. Meanwhile there is a disturbance
in the force that makes us all uneasy.

Chuck