[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 24 02:18:34 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io>
> wrote:
> > Right now we are trying to balance difficult things:  stable releases
> with experimental development.
>
> Perhaps a more formal "development release" system could help here.
> IIUC, numpy pretty much has two things: the latest release (and past
> ones) and master (and assorted experimentla branches). If someone
> develops a new feature, we can either:
>
> have them submit a pull request, and people with the where-with-all
> can pull it, compile, it, and start tesing it on their own -- hsitory
> shows that this is a small group.
>
> merge it with master -- and hope it gets the testing is should before
> it becomes part of a release, but: we are rightly heistant to put
> experimental stuff in master, and it really dont' get that much
> testing -- again only folks that are building master will even see it.
>

> Some projects have a more format "development release" system.
> wxPython, for instance has had for years development releases with odd
> numbers -- right now, the official release is 2.8.*, but there is a
> 2.9.* out there that is getting some use and testing. A couple of
> things help make this work:
>
> 1) Robin makes the effort to put out binaries for development releases
> -- it's easy to go get and give it a try.

This is a good idea - not for development releases but for master. Building
nightly/weekly binaries would help more people try out new features.

> 2) there is the wxversion system that makes it easy to install a new
> versin of wx, and easily switch between them (it's actually broken on
> OS-X right now --- :-) ) -- this pre-dated virtualenv and friends,
> maybe virtualenv is enough for this now.

wxversion was broken for a long time on Ubuntu too (~5 yrs ago). I don't
exactly remember it as a good idea.

virtualenv also doesn't help, because if you can use that you know how to
build from source anyway.

Ralf