[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Tue Apr 24 19:01:06 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why are we having a discussion on NAN's in a thread on consensus?
>> This is a strong indicator of the problem we're facing.
>
> We seem to have a consensus regarding interest in the topic.

For the benefit of those of us interested in both discussions, would
you kindly start a new thread on the MA topic?

community principles, as well as Matthew's initial formulation, I
agree that this would be helpful in enshrining the values we cherish
here, as well as in communicating those values to the next generation
of developers.

>From observing the community, I would guess that these values include:

- That any party with an interest in NumPy is given the opportunity to
speak and to be heard on the list.
- That discussions that influence the course of the project take place
openly, for anyone to observe.
- That decisions are made once consensus is reached, i.e., if everyone
agrees that they can live with the outcome.

To summarize: NumPy development that is free & fair, open and unified.

We'll sometimes mess up and not follow our own guidelines, but with
them in place at least we'll have something to refer back to as a
reminder.

Regards
Stéfan