[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Tue Apr 24 20:53:59 EDT 2012

On Apr 24, 2012, at 7:16 PM, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But a right to veto doesn't automatically extend to everyone who happens to have
>> an interest in a topic.

This is not my view, but it is Charles view and as he is an active developer in the NumPy community so this carries weight.    I hope he can be convinced that active users are an important part of the community.

Charles has made tremendous contributions to this community starting with significant code in Numarray that now lives in NumPy, significant commitment to code quality, significant effort on responding to pull requests, diligence in triaging and applying bug-fixes in tickets, and even responding to people who disagree with him.

> The time has long gone when we simply hacked on NumPy for our own
> benefit; if you will, NumPy users are our customers, and they have a
> stake in its development (or, to phrase it differently, I think we
> have a commitment to them).
>
> If we strongly encourage people to discuss, but still give them an
> avenue to object, we keep ourselves honest (both w.r.t. expectations
> on numpy and our own insight into problems and their solutions).

+1