[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 23:40:17 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fernando, I'm not checking credentials, I'm curious.
>
> Well, at least I think that an inquisitive query about someone's
> background, phrased like that, can be very easily misread.  I can only
> speak for myself, but I immediately had the impression that you were
> indeed trying to validate his background as a proxy for the
> discussion, and suggesting that others had the same curiosity...
>
> Had the question been something more like "Hey Nathaniel, what other
> projects do you think could inform our current view, maybe from stuff
> you've done in the past or lists you've lurked on?", I would have a
> very different reaction.  But this sentence:
>
> """
> I admit to a certain curiosity about your own involvement in FOSS
> projects, and I know I'm not alone in this.
> """
>
> definitely reads to me with a rather dark and unpleasant angle. Upon
> rereading it again now, I still don't like the tone.  I trust you when
> you indicate that your intent was different; perhaps it's a matter of
> phrasing, or the fact that English is not my native language and I may
> miss subtleties of native speakers.

I agree with the interpretation, however, whenever I look at this
thread with google gmail, then I see the first line
"If you hang around big FOSS projects, you'll see the word "consensus""

I'm only hanging around in this neighborhood (9 mailing lists), so I
have no idea about big FOSS projects.

Josef