[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Wed Apr 25 01:53:50 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 05:59:09PM -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
> Travis, if you are playing the BDFL role, then just make the darn decision
> and remove the code so we can get on with life. As it is you go back and
> forth and that does none of us any good, you're a big guy and you're
> rocking the boat. I don't agree with that decision, I'd rather evolve the
> code we have, but I'm willing to compromise with your decision in this
> matter.

I think that Chuck's point here, in a thread on consensus, is very
important: sometimes design discussions stall. If, in such situation, a
BDFL makes a decision, acknowledging that he has no divine power to see
the best of all option but needs to move on, it can help the project go
forward.

As long as nobody's feelings are hurt, a bit of dictatorship well used
moves a project forward. Of course, as with any leadership, it only works
because we as a community trust the leader.

My 2 cents,

Gael