[Numpy-discussion] 64bit infrastructure

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 04:59:42 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io>wrote:

> I'm actually not sure, why.   I think the issue is making sure that the
> release manager can actually "build" NumPy without having to buy a
> particular compiler.

That would help, yes. MS Express doesn't work under Wine last time I
checked by the way.

However, the issue is more than just one license. There's a large number of
packages that depend on numpy and provide binaries. If they can't make
those compatible with numpy ones, that's a problem. Users will first
install numpy 64-bit, and then later find out that part of the scientific
Python stack isn't available to them anymore.

> But, I would rather have official builds of NumPy for all platforms with a
> compiler paid for by a NumPy-sponsor than not have them.

I would only want to have those if I can have the whole stack. If that's
possible, then (if Christoph is okay with it) why not upload Christoph's
binaries also to SF and call them "official" then? I don't see the point in
duplicating his efforts.

Ralf