[Numpy-discussion] config.add_library()

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Aug 29 12:08:40 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

I'm working on a package that will contain a bunch of cython
extensions, all of which need to link against a pile of C++ code. What
I think I need to do is build that C++ as a dynamic library, so I can
link everything against it.

It would be nice if I could leverage distutils to build that library
for me. Particularly since Windows and OS-X and Linux all seem to need
things a little (or q lot) different. It looks like numpy.distuitls'
config.add_library might be what I need, but the docs are pretty
sprarse:

This page:

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-1.5.x/reference/generated/numpy.distutils.misc_util.Configuration.add_library.html

confused me a bit:

"""
Parameters :
name : str
Name of the extension.
"""

Is this really building an extension, or is that some docs string
brought over from the distutils Extension class?

So -- is config.add_lirary() what I'm looking for?

If so are there better docs and/or examples you canpoint me to?

Thanks,

-Chris

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov