[Numpy-discussion] Temporary error accessing NumPy tickets

Ognen Duzlevski ognen at enthought.com
Fri Aug 31 17:08:07 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> When I access tickets, for example:
>>
>> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2185
>>
>> then sometimes I get:
>>
>> Trac detected an internal error:
>> OperationalError: database is locked
>>
>> For example yesterday. A refresh in about a minute fixed the problem.
>> Today it still lasts at the moment.
>
> The failures are probably partly triggered by the machine running out of memory.
> It runs services on mod_python, which apparently slowly leaks. Someone (who?)
> with root access on the machine needs to restart Apache. (Note: "apachectl
> graceful" is not enough to correct this, it needs a real restart of the process.)

I do that regularly.

> Longer term solution is to move out of mod_python (mod_wsgi likely, going to CGI
> will create other performance problems), or to transition the stuff there to a
> more beefy server.

There is also Trac. Between Trac and mod_python the load on the
machine goes up to 20+ at times. I spent some time trying to figure
out a move of the current machine to Amazon to a beefier instance (and
I am not opposed to it but there is a lot of cruft and strange setup
on it as well as the fact that it is not really clear what is what and
why it is running) but this would be a case of solving a problem by
throwing more hardware at it. If everyone is OK with that, fine. I
personally think moving away from Trac (which IMHO is bloated and
awkward in addition to having a very weird way of being administered)
would be a better idea.

My $0.02
Ognen