[Numpy-discussion] Allowing 0-d arrays in np.take

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Tue Dec 4 08:57:12 EST 2012

Hey,

Maybe someone has an opinion about this (since in fact it is new
behavior, so it is undefined). `np.take` used to not allow 0-d/scalar
input but did allow any other dimensions for the indices. Thinking about
changing this, meaning that:

np.take(np.arange(5), 0)

works. I was wondering if anyone has feelings about whether this should
return a scalar or a 0-d array. Typically numpy prefers scalars for
these cases (indexing would return a scalar too) for good reasons, so I
guess that is correct. But since I noticed this wondering if maybe it
returns a 0-d array, I thought I would ask here.

Regards,

Sebastian