[Numpy-discussion] Support for python 2.4 dropped. Should we drop 2.5 also?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 13:57:42 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The previous proposal to drop python 2.4 support garnered no opposition.
>> How about dropping support for python 2.5 also?
>>
>> Chuck
>>

> matplotlib 1.2 supports py2.5.  I haven't seen any plan to move off of that
> for 1.3.  Is there a compelling reason for dropping 2.5?

A rationale for the record: I don't think people who don't care about
2.4 care about 2.5, and 2.6 is a significant improvement compared to
2.5:

  - context manager
  - python 3-compatible exception syntax (writing code that works with
2 and 3 without any change is significantly easier if your baseline in
2.6 instead of 2.4/2.5)
  - json, ast, multiprocessing are available and potentially quite
useful for NumPy itself.

cheers,
David