[Numpy-discussion] Support for python 2.4 dropped. Should we drop 2.5 also?

Olivier Delalleau shish at keba.be
Thu Dec 13 23:00:48 EST 2012

2012/12/13 Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <chris.barker at noaa.gov>

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Bradley M. Froehle
> <brad.froehle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, but the point was that since you can live with an older version on
> > Python you can probably live with an older version of NumPy.
>
> exactly -- also:
>
> How likely are you to nee the latest and greatest numpy but not a new
> PyGTK, or a new name_your_package_here. And, in fact, other packages
> drop support for older Python's too.
>
> However, what I can imagine is pretty irrelevant -- sorry I brought it
> up -- either there are a significant number of folks for whom support
> for old Pythons in important, or there aren't.

I doubt it's a common situation, but just to give an example: I am
developing some machine learning code that heavily relies on Numpy, and it
is meant to run into a large Python 2.4 software environment, which can't
easily be upgraded because it contains lots of libraries that have been
built against Python 2.4. And even if I could rebuild it, they wouldn't let
me ;) This Python code is mostly proprietary and doesn't require external
dependencies to be upgraded... except my little module that may take
advantage of Numpy improvements.

-=- Olivier