[Numpy-discussion] On the difference of two positive definite matrices

Virgil Stokes vs at it.uu.se
Sun Dec 16 20:20:06 EST 2012

Suppose I have two positive definite matrices, A and B. Is it possible
to use U*D*U^T  factorizations of these matrices to obtain a numerically
stable result for their difference, A - B ?

My application is the "UD" factorization method for the Kalman filter
followed by the Rauch-Tung-Striebel smoother --- this is where the
difference of two positive definite matrices occurs.

I hope that this question is appropriate for this list and does not
offend any subscribers.