[Numpy-discussion] Future of numpy (was: DARPA funding for Blaze and passing the NumPy torch)

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Sun Dec 23 03:56:22 EST 2012

On 12/22/2012 06:36 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Travis - I think you are suggesting that there should be no  one
>>> person in charge of numpy, and I think this is very unlikely to work
>>> well.   Perhaps there are good examples of well-led projects where
>>> there is not a clear leader, but I can't think of any myself at the
>>> moment.  My worry would be that, without a clear leader, it will be
>>> unclear how decisions are made, and that will make it very hard to
>>> take strategic decisions.
>>
>> Curious; my feeling is the opposite, that among mature and successful
>> FOSS projects, having a clear leader is the uncommon case. GCC
>> doesn't, Glibc not only has no leader but they recently decided to get
>> rid of their formal steering committee, I'm pretty sure git doesn't,
>> Apache certainly doesn't, Samba doesn't really, etc. As usual Karl
>> Fogel has sensible comments on this:
>>    http://producingoss.com/en/consensus-democracy.html
>
> Ah yes - that is curious.  My - er - speculation was based on:
>
> Numpy - Travis golden age in which we still bask
> Sympy - Ondrej, then Aaron - evolving into group decision making AFAICT
> IPython - Fernando, evolving into group decision making, AFAICT
> Cython - Robert Bradshaw - evolving into ... - you get the idea.

I don't really want to prolong this thread, but I feel like I should
correct a factual error. Cython started with Robert Bradshaw (and other
Sage members) and Stefan Behnel exchanging patches on top of Pyrex;
there was definitely no leader at that point. Then I came along; there
was no leader at that point either (but I was aware that the two others
had a longer track record of course).

Robert Bradshaw was declared leader in order to break the tie when I and
Stefan Behnel had argued for a 100-post long thread and could not reach
a conclusion. And at least in this case, we were able to settle on a
leadership structure then, when we needed it, and didn't regret not
doing it earlier.

Dag Sverre