[Numpy-discussion] Many failing doctests - release blocker? Enable for default test runs?

Ondřej Čertík ondrej.certik at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 13:54:49 EST 2012

Hi Matthew,

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that enabling the doctests on the 1.7.x maintenance branch
> caused lots and lots of doctest failures.
>
> (np-devel)[mb312 at blair ~/dev_trees]$ python -c 'import numpy as np;
> np.test(doctests=True)'
> 1.7.0rc1.dev-1e8fcdf
> Running unit tests and doctests for numpy
> NumPy version 1.7.0rc1.dev-1e8fcdf
> NumPy is installed in
> /Users/mb312/.virtualenvs/np-devel/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy
> Python version 2.6.6 (r266:84374, Aug 31 2010, 11:00:51) [GCC 4.0.1
> (Apple Inc. build 5493)]
> nose version 1.1.2
> Ran 3839 tests in 59.928s
>
> FAILED (KNOWNFAIL=4, SKIP=4, errors=23, failures=175)
>
> The doctests also throw up somewhere round 10 matplotlib plots, so
> presumably those would fail as well on a machine without a display
> without forcing the import of an 'Agg' backend or similar.
>
> I have never checked the doctests on Python 3.  Has anyone run those recently?
>
> For the projects I work on most, we enable doctests for the default
> test run - as in 'doctests=True' by default in the numpy testing
> machinery.   Do ya'll see any disadvantage in doing that for numpy?
>
> In case someone gets to this before I do, we've also got some logic
> for doing conditional skips of doctests when optional packages are not
> available such as matplotlib, inspired by something similar in
> IPython:
>
> https://github.com/nipy/nipy/blob/master/nipy/testing/doctester.py#L193
>
> If Christmas allows I'll send a pull request with something like that
> in the next few days.

Thanks for pointing this out. I think in the long term, we should definitely
run doctests as part of the test suite on Travis-CI. Because what use
is a doctest if it doesn't work?

Matthew, do you know if doctests fail for the 1.6 release as well?

I am swamped with other bugs for the 1.7 release and since I assume
they also fail for 1.6, I want to get the release out as soon as we fix our
current issues.

However, I think it's a good idea to run doctests automatically on Travis,
once they are all fixed.

Ondrej