[Numpy-discussion] On making Numpy 1.7 a long term support release.

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 11 04:08:04 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Ralf Gommers
>> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> be
>> NumPy
>> >>
>> > +1 for dropping Python 2.5 support also for an LTS release. That will
>> make
>> > it a lot easier to use str.format() and the with statement (plus many
>> other
>> > things) going forward, without having to think about if your changes
>> can be
>> > backported to that LTS release.
>>
>> At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would really like to
>> stay to 2.4, especially for a long term release :) This is still the
>> basis used by a lots of long-term python products. If we can support
>> 2.4 for a LTS, I would then be much more comfortable to allow bumping
>> to 2.5 for 1.8.
>>

> At the very least someone should step up to do the testing or maintain a
> buildbot for Python 2.4 then. Also for scipy, assuming that scipy keeps
> supporting the same Python versions as numpy.
>
> Here's a list of Python requirements for other important scientific python
projects:
- ipython: >= 2.6
- matplotlib: v1.1 supports 2.4-2.7, v1.2 will support >= 2.6
- scikit-learn: >= 2.6
- scikit-image: >= 2.5
- scikits.statsmodels: >= 2.5 (next release probably >= 2.6)

That there are still some projects/products out there that still use Python
2.4 (some examples of such products would be nice by the way) is not enough
of a reason by itself to continue to support it in new releases. There has
to be a good reason for those products to require the very latest numpy,
even though they are fine with a very old Python and older versions of
almost any other Python package.

It would also make sense to ship binaries (for Windows at least) of all
Python versions we say we support. We haven't done so for 2.4 for a very
long time.

Ralf