[Numpy-discussion] @Dag re numpy.pxd

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 15:31:51 EST 2012

Hi Dag,

This probably needs to be on the cython mailing list at some point, but I
thought I'd start the discussion here. Numpy is going to begin deprecating
direct access to ndarray/dtype internals, ala arr->data etc. There are
currently macros/functions for many of these operations in the numpy
development branch and I expect more to go in over the coming year. Also,
some of the macros have been renamed. I don't know the best way for Cython
to support this, but the current version (0.15 here) generates code that
will fail if the deprecated things are excluded. Ideally, numpy.pxd would
have numpy version dependent parts but I don't know if that is possible. In
any case, I'd like your thoughts on the best way to coordinate this
migration with Cython.

Chuck