[Numpy-discussion] Issue Tracking

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Sun Feb 12 18:12:22 EST 2012

I'm wondering about using one of these commercial issue tracking plans for NumPy and would like thoughts and comments.    Both of these plans allow Open Source projects to have unlimited plans for free.

YouTrack from JetBrains:

http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/features/issue_tracking.html

JIRA:

http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview/tour/code-integration

What Mark Wiebe said about making it easy to "manage the issues" quickly and what Eric said about making sure there are interfaces with dense information content really struck chords with me.  I have seen a lot of time wasted on issue management with Trac --- time that could be better spent on NumPy.    I'd like to make issue management efficient --- even if it means a system separate from GitHub.

Issue management is a very important part of the open-source process.

-Travis