[Numpy-discussion] Strange PyArray_FromObject() behavior

Spotz, William F wfspotz at sandia.gov
Thu Feb 16 12:09:36 EST 2012

I have a user who is reporting tests that are failing on his platform.  I have not been able to reproduce the error on my system, but working with him, we have isolated the problem to unexpected results when PyArray_FromObject() is called.  Here is the chain of events:

In python, an integer is calculated.  Specifically, it is

    len(result.errors) + len(result.failures)

where result is a unit test result object from the unittest module.  I had him verify that this value was in fact a python integer.  In my extension module, this PyObject gets passed to the PyArray_FromObject() function in a routine that comes from numpy.i.  What I expect, and what I typically get, is a numpy scalar array of type C long.  I had my user print the result using PyObject_Print() and what he got was

    array([0:00:00], dtype=timedelta64[us])

I am stuck as to why this might be happening.  Any ideas?

Thanks

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-0154      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov<mailto:wfspotz at sandia.gov> **