[Numpy-discussion] Buildbot/continuous integration (was Re: Issue Tracking)

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 19:07:44 EST 2012

On 16 February 2012 23:52, Chris Ball <ceball at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm aware that several projects in the scientific/numeric
> Python ecosystem use Jenkins (including Cython, IPython, and SymPy),
> often using a hosted Jenkins solution such as Shining Panda. A difficult
> part of running a Buildbot service is finding hardware for the slaves
> and keeping them alive, so a hosted solution sounds wonderful (assuming
> hosted solutions offer an adequate range of operating systems etc).

We're using ShiningPanda's hosted CI for IPython:
https://jenkins.shiningpanda.com/ipython/

It has a number of things going for it - not least that the basic
service is free for FLOSS - but, to misquote, you can have any OS you
like, so long as it's Debian 6. I get the feeling that they're still
developing things, so maybe there will be more options in the future,
but that's the state now.

You may notice an ipython-mac job in the list - one of our
contributors kindly set up his Mac to run the test suite overnight,
and we have ShiningPanda download the zipped results. It's a neat
trick, but it's not really a solution if you're testing many OS
flavours.

Thomas