Christopher Jordan-Squire cjordan1 at uw.edu
Fri Feb 17 14:00:07 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> > keywords like 'new'.
>> >
>> > I did suggest running it by you for build issues, so please raise any
>> > you can think of. Note that MatPlotLib is in C++, so I don't think the
>> > problems are insurmountable. And choosing a set of compilers to support
>> > is something that will need to be done.
>>
>> It's true that matplotlib relies heavily on C++, both via the Agg
>> library and in its own extension code.  Personally, I don't like this; I
>> think it raises the barrier to contributing.  C++ is an order of
>> magnitude more complicated than C--harder to read, and much harder to
>> write, unless one is a true expert. In mpl it brings reliance on the CXX
>> library, which Mike D. has had to help maintain.  And if it does
>> increase compiler specificity, that's bad.
>

> This gets to the recruitment issue, which is one of the most important
> problems I see numpy facing. I personally have contributed a lot of code to
> NumPy *in spite of* the fact it's in C. NumPy being in C instead of C++ was
> the biggest negative point when I considered whether it was worth
> contributing to the project. I suspect there are many programmers out there
> who are skilled in low-level, high-performance C++, who would be willing to
> contribute, but don't want to code in C.
>
> I believe NumPy should be trying to find people who want to make high
> performance, close to the metal, libraries. This is a very different type of
> programmer than one who wants to program in Python, but is willing to dabble
> in a lower level language to make something run faster. High performance
> library development is one of the things the C++ developer community does
> very well, and that community is where we have a good chance of finding the
> programmers NumPy needs.
>
>> I would much rather see development in the direction of sticking with C
>> where direct low-level control and speed are needed, and using cython to
>> gain higher level language benefits where appropriate.  Of course, that
>> brings in the danger of reliance on another complex tool, cython.  If
>> that danger is considered excessive, then just stick with C.
>

> There are many small benefits C++ can offer, even if numpy chooses only to
> use a tiny subset of the C++ language. For example, RAII can be used to
> reliably eliminate PyObject reference leaks.
>
> Consider a regression like this:
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2011-July/057831.html
>
> Fixing this in C would require switching all the relevant usages of
> NPY_MAXARGS to use a dynamic memory allocation. This brings with it the
> potential of easily introducing a memory leak, and is a lot of work to do.
> In C++, this functionality could be placed inside a class, where the
> deterministic construction/destruction semantics eliminate the risk of
> memory leaks and make the code easier to read at the same time. There are
> other examples like this where the C language has forced a suboptimal design
> choice because of how hard it would be to do it better.

In a similar vein, could incorporating C++ lead to a simpler low-level
API for numpy? I know Mark has talked before about--in the long-term,
as a dream project to scratch his own itch, and something the BDF12
doesn't necessarily agree with--implementing the great ideas in numpy
as a layered C++ library. (Which would have the added benefit of
making numpy more of a general array library that could be exposed to
any language which can call C++ libraries.)

I don't imagine that's on the table for anything near-term, but I
wonder if making more of the low-level stuff C++ would make it easier
for performance nuts to write their own code in C/C++ interfacing with
numpy, and then expose it to python. After playing around with ufuncs
at the C level for a little while last summer, I quickly realized any
simplifications would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris