Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Sat Feb 18 11:24:58 EST 2012

> Albeit Cython has a special syntax for NumPy arrays, we are talking about implementation of NumPy, not using it. I would not consider Cython for this before e.g. memoryviews have been stable for a long period. The subset of Cython we could safely use is not better than plain C.

If we want something more readable than C or C++, that looks like Python, Cython is not the only option. Another is RPython, which is the subset of Python used for PyPy. It can be translated to various languages, including C, Java and .NET. Since RPython is valid Python, it an also be debugged with CPython. Code translated by RPython is extremely fast (often "faster than C" due to human limitation in C coding) and RPython is a stabile compiler.

http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/coding-guide.html#id1

http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/translation.html

http://olliwang.com/2009/12/20/aes-implementation-in-rpython/

Sturla