Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Sun Feb 19 00:47:53 EST 2012

On Saturday, February 18, 2012, Matthew Brett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > We will need to see examples of what Mark is talking about and clarify
> some
> > of the compiler issues.   Certainly there is some risk that once code is
> > written that it will be tempting to just use it.   Other approaches are
> > certainly worth exploring in the mean-time, but C++ has some strong
> > arguments for it.
>
> The worry as I understand it is that a C++ rewrite might make the
> numpy core effectively a read-only project for anyone but Mark.  Do
> you have any feeling for whether that is likely?

Dude, have you seen the .c files in numpy/core? They are already read-only
for pretty much everybody but Mark.

All kidding aside, is your concern that when Mark starts this that no one
will be able to contribute until he is done? I can tell you right now that
won't be the case as I will be trying to flesh out issues with datetime64
with him.

Ben Root