[Numpy-discussion] How a transition to C++ could work

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 03:33:52 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>wrote:

> Hey, Mark
>
> On Feb 18, 2012 11:18 PM, "Mark Wiebe" <mwwiebe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My experience has been that providing a C API from a C++ library is no
> harder than providing a C API from a C library.
>
> Interfacing to compiled C++ libs have been tricky, so can this concern be
> dismissed so easily? (Some examples that came to mind were
> _import_array--easy to fix because it is ours, I guess--or Cython generated
> code).

I'm speaking from personal experience having dealt with these types of
issues extensively before. If people have more detailed examples of
problems, possibly links to discussions where one of these problems has
occurred, that would be helpful. This argument isn't very useful if it's
just my positive experience versus others negative experience, we need to
get into specifics to advance the discussion.

-Mark