[Numpy-discussion] How a transition to C++ could work

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 04:34:34 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> <snip>
> As you probably saw, I think the proposal was indeed to use Cython to
> provide the higher-level parts of the core, while refactoring the rest
> of the C code underneath it.  Obviously one could also refactor the C
> into C++, so the proposal to use Cython for some of the core is to
> some extent orthogonal to the choice of C / C++.    I don't know the
> core, perhaps there isn't much of it that would benefit from being in
> Cython, I'd be interested to know your views.  But, superficially, it
> seems like an attractive solution to making (some of) the core easier
> to maintain.

Using Cython in the binding role is orthogonal to the choice of C versus
C++, you are right. This binding aspect isn't the part where C++ provides
most of the benefits I envision, so increasing (or decreasing) the use of
Cython within NumPy seems like a good topic for a separate thread just
about Cython.

Cheers,
Mark