Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Mon Feb 20 12:26:06 EST 2012

Den 20.02.2012 18:14, skrev Charles R Harris:

> Would that work for Ruby also? One of the advantages of C++ is that
> the code doesn't need to be refactored to start with, just modified
> step by step going into the future. I think PyPy is close to what you
> are talking about.

If we plant to support more languages than Python, it might be better to
use C++ (sorry).

But it does not mean that LLVM cannot be used. Either one can generate C
or C++, or just use the assembly language (which is very simple and
readable too: http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html).

We have exact knowledge about an ndarray at runtime:

- dtype
- dimensions
- strides
- whether the array is contiguous or not

This can be JIT-compiled into specialized looping code by LLVM. These
kernels can then be stored in a database and resued.

If it matters, LLVM is embeddable in C++.

Sturla