Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Tue Feb 21 17:18:53 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 05:44:27AM -0500, David Warde-Farley wrote:
> I think the comments about the developer audience NumPy will attract are important. There may be lots of C++ developers out there, but the intersection of (truly competent in C++) and (likely to involve oneself in NumPy development) may well be quite small.

That's a very valid concern. It is reminiscent of a possible cause to our
lack of contributors to Mayavi: contributing to Mayavi requires knowing
VTK. One of the major benefits of Mayavi is that it makes it is to use
the power of VTK without understanding it well. The intersection of the
people interested in using Mayavi and able to contribute to it is almost
empty.

This is stricking to me, because I know a lot of who know VTK well. Most
of them couldn't care less for Mayavi: they are happy coding directly in
VTK in C++. This is also a reason why I don't code UIs any more: I simply
cannot find the resource to maintain them in proportion with the number
of users that they garner. A sad statement.

Gael