[Numpy-discussion] Possible roadmap addendum: building better text file readers

Paulo Jabardo pjabardo at yahoo.com.br
Mon Feb 27 10:10:38 EST 2012

I have a few features that I believe would make text file easier for many people. In some countries (most?) the decimal separator in real numbers is not a point but a comma.
I think it would be very useful that the decimal separator be specified with a keyword argument (decimal = '.' for example) on the text reading function. There are workarounds such as previously replacing dots with commas, changing the locale (which is usually a messy solution) but it is always very annoying. I often use rpy to call R's functions read.table or scan to read text files.

I have been meaning to write "improved" functions to read text files but lately I find it much simpler to use rpy.  Another thing that is very useful is the ability to read a predetermined number of lines from the file. As of right now loadtxt and genfromtxt both read the entire file AFAICT.

Paulo