[Numpy-discussion] Possible roadmap addendum: building better text file readers

Travis Oliphant teoliphant at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:10:46 EST 2012

The architecture of this system should separate the iteration across the I/O from the transformation *on* the data.   It should also allow the ability to plug-in different transformations at a low-level --- some thought should go into the API of the low-level transformation.    Being able to memory-map text files would also be a bonus (but this would require some kind of index to allow seeking through the file).

I have some ideas in this direction, but don't have the time to write them up just yet.

-Travis