[Numpy-discussion] Determining the 'viewness' of an array, and flags.owndata confusion

Kurt Smith kwmsmith at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 18:26:54 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Larsen, Brian A <balarsen at lanl.gov> wrote:
> Stack overflow post related to this:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9164269/can-you-tell-if-an-array-is-a-view-of-another

They recommend testing "a.base".  However, in the example I posted,
"a.base" is not reliable either.

For example:

In [5]: a = zeros((3,3))

In [6]: a_fancy1 = a[[0,1], :]

In [7]: a_fancy1.base  # None

In [8]: a_fancy2 = a[:, [0,1]]

In [9]: a_fancy2.base  # Not None.  But a_fancy2 is not a view into 'a'.
Out[9]:
array([[ 0.,  0.,  0.],

So if I test to see if 'arr.base' is not None, it may or or may not be
a view.  Is this correct?