[Numpy-discussion] find location of maximum values

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Mon Jan 9 18:22:39 EST 2012

On Monday, January 9, 2012, questions anon <questions.anon at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for the responses.
> Unfortunately they are not matching shapes
> (721, 106, 193) (721,) (106,) (193,)
>
> So I still receive index out of bounds error:
> numpy array of max values for the month
> 2928
> 35.5 (degrees celcius)

> IndexError: index out of bounds
>
> lonloc=LON[tmax.argmax()]
> timeloc=TIME[tmax.argmax()]
>

> Any other ideas for this type of situation?
> thanks

Right, we realize they are not the same shape.  When you use argmax on the
temperature data, take that index number and use unravel_index(index,
TSFC.shape) to get a three-element tuple, each being the index in the TIME,
LAT, LON arrays, respectively.

Cheers,
Ben Root

derek at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

>> On 04.01.2012, at 5:10AM, questions anon wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks for your responses but I am still having difficuties with this
problem. Using argmax gives me one very large value and I am not sure what
it is.
>> > There shouldn't be any issues with the shape. The latitude and
longitude are the same shape always (covering a state) and the temperature
(TSFC) data are hourly for a whole month.

>> There will be an issue if not TSFC.shape == TIME.shape == LAT.shape ==
LON.shape