[Numpy-discussion] Download page still points to SVN

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 14:48:12 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io> wrote:
> I'm not even sure how the web-pages get updated at this point.   Does anyone on this list know?    I think it would be a great idea to move to github pages for the NumPy project at least.

We've moved to the following setup with ipython, which works very well
for us so far:

1. ipython.org: Main website with only static content, manged as a
repo in github (https://github.com/ipython/ipython-website) and
updated with a gh-pages build
(https://github.com/ipython/ipython.github.com).

2. wiki.ipython.org: a mediawiki instance we run on a server I
personally pay for.

3. archive.ipython.org: static hosting of content such as downloads of
release candidates, same server as #2.  We also keep main releases
here as an alternative, but I think most people get the releases from
pypi these days.

With this setup, the only thing that requires actual ssh access is #3,
and I simply uploaded the keys of a few developers to that server.
But having to upload content there is fairly rare, and the large
majority of content that needs update lives in #1 and #2, both of
which have access control mechanisms that make job delegation
extremely easy.

At this point, our only real bottleneck is that I'm still the sole
release manager so far.  But now that we're hitting a more regular
release pace I plan to change that soon, and start rotating this job
too, so it doesn't depend on my time.  We used to release so
infrequently that this wasn't really an issue, and the 0.11 release
was so big that I wouldn't foist it on anyone else (it took ~2 weeks
just to do the release work), but moving forward this job should also
be easy to delegate and we'll do so soon.

I'm happy to share any other details that may help smooth out the
workflow for numpy and scipy.  I certainly think that the current
setup with a very outdated wiki as the main site and a
new-but-semi-invalid rst one needs fixing; it's kind of a shame to
have the crown jewels of the scientific python ecosystem with such a
poor web presence.  But fortunately the problem isn't too hard to fix
these days (the github machinery really plays a key part in helping
here).

Cheers,