[Numpy-discussion] Download page still points to SVN

Scott Sinclair scott.sinclair.za at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 02:49:13 EST 2012

On 19 January 2012 21:48, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've moved to the following setup with ipython, which works very well
> for us so far:
>
> 1. ipython.org: Main website with only static content, manged as a
> repo in github (https://github.com/ipython/ipython-website) and
> updated with a gh-pages build
> (https://github.com/ipython/ipython.github.com).

I like this idea, and to get the ball rolling I've stripped out the
www directory of the scipy.org-new repo into it's own repository using
git filter-branch (posted here:
https://github.com/scottza/scipy_website) and created
https://github.com/scottza/scottza.github.com. This puts a copy of the
new scipy website at http://scottza.github.com as a proof of concept.

Since there seems to be some agreement on rehosting numpy's website on
github, I'd be happy to do as much of the legwork as I can in getting
the numpy.scipy.org content hosted at numpy.github.com. I don't have
permission to create new repos for the Numpy organization, so someone
would have to create an empty
https://github.com/numpy/numpy.github.com and give me push permission
on that repo.

It would be great to see scipy go the same way and make updating the
site easier. I know that David Warde-Farley, Pauli and others put in a
lot of work scraping content off the wiki to produce the new website,
it would be fantastic to see the fruits of that effort.

Issues with scipy "Trac, the doc editor, and the conference.scipy.org
and docs.scipy.org" as mentioned by Pauli. There is also the cookbook
on the wiki to consider (perhaps http://scipy-central.org/ could play
a role there).

Cheers,
Scott