[Numpy-discussion] Permuting sparse arrays

Edward C. Jones edcjones at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 10:12:23 EST 2012

I have a vector of bits where there are many more zeros than one.  I
store the array as a sorted list of the indexes where the bit is one.
If the bit array is (0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1), it is stored as (1, 5, 6).
If the bit array, b, has length n, and p is a random permutation of
arange(n), then I can permute the bit array using fancy indexing: b[p].
Is there some neat trick I can use to permute an array while leaving it
in the list-of-indexes form?  Currently I am doing it with a Python loop
but I am looking for a faster way.