[Numpy-discussion] Remove current 1.7 branch?

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Thu Jul 12 07:48:56 EDT 2012

On Thursday, July 12, 2012, Thouis (Ray) Jones wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Travis and I agree that it would be appropriate to remove the current
> 1.7.x
> > branch and branch again after a code freeze. That way we can avoid the
> pain
> > and potential errors of backports. It is considered bad form to mess with
> > public repositories that way, so another option would be to rename the
> > branch, although I'm not sure how well that would work. Suggestions?
>
> I might be mistaken, but if the branch is merged into master (even if
> that merge makes no changes), I think it's safe to delete it at that
> point (and recreate it at a later date with the same name) with
> regards to remote repositories.  It should be fairly easy to test.
>
> Ray Jones

No, that is not the case.  We had a situation occur awhile back where one
of the public branches of mpl got completely messed up.  You can't even
rename it since the rename doesn't occur in the pulls and merges.

What we ended up doing was creating a brand new branch "v1.0.x-maint" and
making sure all the devs knew to switch over to that.  You might even go a
step further and make a final commit to the bad branch that makes the build
fail with a big note explaining what to do.

Ben Root