[Numpy-discussion] use slicing as argument values?

Chao YUE chaoyuejoy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:38:34 EDT 2012

Dear all,

I want to create a function and I would like one of the arguments of the
function to determine what slicing of numpy array I want to use.
a simple example:

a=np.arange(100).reshape(10,10)

suppose I want to have a imaging function to show image of part of this
data:

def show_part_of_data(m,n):
    plt.imshow(a[m,n])

like I can give m=3:5, n=2:7, when I call function
show_part_of_data(3:5,2:7), this means I try to do plt.imshow(a[3:5,2:7]).
the above example doesn't work in reality. but it illustrates something
similar that I desire, that is, I can specify what slicing of
number array I want by giving values to function arguments.

thanks a lot,

Chao

Chao YUE
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Batiment 712 - Pe 119
91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex
Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16