[Numpy-discussion] Github notifications and trac-to-github migration

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:36:31 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Thouis (Ray) Jones <thouis at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would estimate I'm between a fourth and halfway through the
> implementation of the trac-to-github-issues migration code.  The work
> lives in at https://github.com/thouis/numpy-trac-migration , though
> without a copy of the trac DB, it's not really possible to experiment
> with it.  I haven't included the DB because of its size and potential
> privacy issues.  My plan is to use this repository for testing.
>
> One concern I have is that when issues are assigned or someone is
> mentioned via @username, a notification will be sent (for the default
> notifications settings).  I believe this is the case even for closed
> issues.  My plan had been to add @user mentions for the reporter and
> CCs listed in each trac issue, but there are other options:

I would prefer the above. Having CC's correct on issues that are closed is
imho more important than a larger one-time flood of emails. Otherwise it
becomes quite hard to revisit issues.

> - only add @users for open trac tickets, don't assign closed tickets
> to their original owner,
> - don't add any @users for reporter and CCs (though owners will be
> notified when issues are assigned),
> - a combination of the above.
>
> I also thought it might be good to send a warning, via an issue on the
> test repo with an @user for everyone that might be messaged in the
> final transition, warning them of what's about to take place.

Good idea.

> During testing, all @users will be replaced with something else, to
> keep from flooding people with notifications during debugging.
>
> Thank you for any feedback.

It looks pretty good, looking forward to trying it out in a test Github
repo. Below are a few things that I noticed in the code.

It looks like you want to discard the Milestones, except for the 1.7.0,
1.8.0 and 2.0.0 ones. Why not keep all of them?

I think the bug/enhancement/task label is missing.

This shouldn't work I think (and I did a short test):
    def t2g_markup(s):
        return s.replace('{{{', "'''").replace('}}}', "'''")
The {{{<txt>}}} part should be replaced by ``<txt>`` for inline markup and
indented for multi-line comments in Github I believe, then it will render
the same way.

Cheers,
Ralf