[Numpy-discussion] better error message possible?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 12:56:34 EDT 2012

On 01/06/2012 16:39, Benjamin Root wrote:

>      > >>> import numpy
>      > >>> numpy.zeros(10)[-123]
>      > Traceback (most recent call last):
>      >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>      > IndexError: index out of bounds
>      >
>      > ...could say this:
>      >
>      > >>> numpy.zeros(10)[-123]
>      > Traceback (most recent call last):
>      >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>      > IndexError: -123 is out of bounds
>
>     Only that no-one has implemented it, I guess. If you want to then
>     that'd be cool :-).
>
>     To be generally useful for debugging, it would probably be good for
>     the error message to also mention which dimension is involved, and/or
>     the actual size of the array in that dimension. You can also get such
>     error messages from expressions like 'arr[i, j, k]', after all, where
>     it's even less obvious what went wrong.
>
>     -- Nathaniel
>

> +1, please!

Indeed, sadly I'm not a C developer. It's a pet bugbear of mine that
Python's built-in exceptions often tell you what went wrong but not what
data caused the error, even when it's easily to hand when raising the
exception.

Where's the right place to raise an issue that a numpy developer can
hopefully make the (I suspect) simple change to get this behaviour?

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk