[Numpy-discussion] lazy evaluation

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:47:08 EDT 2012

On 5 June 2012 20:17, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM, mark florisson
> <markflorisson88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5 June 2012 17:38, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

>>> My vague idea is that core numpy operations are about as fundamental
>>> for scientific users as the Python builtin operations are, so they
>>> should probably be overrideable in a similar way. So we'd teach numpy
>>> functions to check for methods named like "__numpy_ufunc__" or
>>> "__numpy_dot__" and let themselves be overridden if found. Like how
>>> __gt__ and __add__ and stuff work. Or something along those lines.

>>> My point is that probably numpy should *not* govern the decision about
>>> what stuff should be lazy and what should be evaluated; that should be
>>> governed by some combination of the user and
>>> Numba/Theano/minivect/whatever. The toy API I sketched out would make
>>> those decisions obvious and explicit. (And if the funny objects had an
>>> __array_interface__ attribute that automatically forced evaluation
>>> when accessed, then they'd work fine with code that was expecting an
>>> array, or if they were assigned to a "real" ndarray, etc.)
>>
>> That's disappointing though, since the performance drawbacks can
>> severely limit the usefulness for people with big data sets. Ideally,
>> you would take your intuitive numpy code, and make it go fast, without
>> jumping through hoops. Numpypy has lazy evaluation,  I don't know how
>> good a job it does, but it does mean you can finally get fast numpy
>> code in an intuitive way (and even run it on a GPU if that is possible
>> and beneficial).
>
> All of these proposals require the user to jump through hoops -- the
> deferred-ufunc NEP has the extra 'with deferredstate' thing, and more
> importantly, a set of rules that people have to learn and keep in mind
> for which numpy operations are affected, which ones aren't, which
> operations can't be performed while deferredstate is True, etc. So
> this has two problems: (1) these rules are opaque, (2) it's far from
> clear what the rules should be.

Right, I guess I should have commented on that. I don't think the
deferredstate stuff is needed at all, execution can always be deferred
as long as it does not affect semantics. So if something is marked
readonly because it is used in an expression and then written to, you
evaluate the expression and then perform the write. The only way to
break stuff, I think, would be to use pointers through the buffer
interface or PyArray_DATA and not respect the sudden readonly
property. A deferred expression is only evaluated once in any valid
GIL-holding context (so it shouldn't break threads either).

> If we (initially) implement
> "deferredness" in a third-party library with an explicit
> "deferredarray" type, then that works around both of them: it makes
> the rules transparent (operations using that type are deferred,
> operations using ndarray aren't), and gives you room to experiment
> with different approaches without having to first accomplish some
> major change in the numpy code base (and maybe get it wrong and have
> to change it again later). That's what I meant when I said in my first
> message that the more explicit API actually seemed like it would be
> easier for people to use in the long run.

Right, ok, that makes sense. I'm not sure how much more
experimentation is needed though. Theano, for instance, is something
that already does this stuff, it's just not as convenient to use as
regular numpy code (for the cases that work in both, Theano does other
stuff as well).