[Numpy-discussion] Created NumPy 1.7.x branch

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:49:54 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io>wrote:

> I thought it was clear we were doing a 1.7 release before SciPy.   It
> seems pretty urgent that we get something out sooner than later.      I
> know there is never enough time to do all the things we want to do.
>
> There is time before the first Release candidate to make changes on the
> 1.7.x branch.   If you want to make the changes on master, and just
> indicate the Pull requests, Ondrej can make sure they are added to the
> 1.7.x. branch by Monday.    We can also delay the first Release Candidate
> by a few days to next Wednesday and then bump everything 3 days if that
> will help.     There will be a follow-on 1.8 release before the end of the
> year --- so there is time to make changes for that release as well.    The
> next release will not take a year to get out, so we shouldn't feel
> pressured to get *everything* in this release.

What about http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2108? Someone needs to at
least answer the question of how much of datetime is unusable on Windows
with the current code. If that's not a lot then perhaps this is not a
blocker, but we did consider it one until now.....

Of the other tickets (http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/report/3) it would
also be good to get an assessment of which ones are critical. Perhaps none
of them are and the branch is in good shape for a release, but some of
those segfaults would be nice to have fixed. Debian multi-arch support too,
as discussed on this list recently.

Ralf