[Numpy-discussion] Matrix rank default tolerance - is it too low?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 19:46:20 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 26, 2012, Charles R Harris wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,

One potential problem is that it implies that it will always be the
same as any version of matlab's tolerance.  What if they change it in
a future release? How likely are we to even notice?

>> I'm fine with that, and agree that it is likely to lead to fewer folks
>> wondering why Matlab and numpy are different. A good explanation in the
>> function documentation would be useful.
>>
>> Chuck
>>

> One potential problem is that it implies that it will always be the same as
> any version of matlab's tolerance.  What if they change it in a future
> release? How likely are we to even notice?

I guess that matlab is unlikely to change for the same reason that we
would be reluctant to change, once we've found an acceptable value.

I was thinking that we would say something like:

"""
The default tolerance is :

 tol = S.max() * np.finfo(M.dtype).eps * max((m, n))

This corresponds to the tolerance suggested in NR page X, and to the
tolerance used by MATLAB at the time of writing (June 2012; see
http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/rank.html).
"""

I don't know whether we would want to track changes made by matlab -
maybe we could have that discussion if they do change?

Best,

Matthew