[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.7 release delays

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 19:59:59 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io> wrote:
> One issues is the one that Sage identified about the array interface
> regression as noted by Jason.    Any other regressions from 1.5.x need to be
> addressed as well.    We'll have to decide on a case-by-case basis if there
> are issues that conflict with 1.6.x behavior.

One thing this discussion made me think about, is that it would be
great to identify a few key projects that:

- use numpy heavily
- have reasonably solid test suites

and create a special build job that runs *those* test suites
periodically.  Not necessarily on every last numpy commit, but at
least on a reasonable schedule.

I think having that kind of information readily available, and with
the ability to switch which numpy branch/commit those tests do get run
against, could be very valuable as an early warning system for numpy
to know if an apparently inconsequential change has unexpected side
effects downstream.

In IPython we've really benefited greatly from our improved CI
infrastructure, but that only goes as far as catching *our own*
problems.  This kind of downstream integration testing could be very
useful.

Cheers,