[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.7 release delays

Ondřej Čertík ondrej.certik at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 02:55:24 EDT 2012

Hi Fernando,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you use anything else besides Travis CI?
>
> Yes, we use both Shining Panda and Travis CI:
>
> https://jenkins.shiningpanda.com/ipython/

With NumPy, I am still there in the waitinglist, number 92. So I guess
it will take a while.

> http://travis-ci.org/#!/ipython/ipython
>
> The SP setup is more complete, including Mac and Windows bots.
>
>> I donated money to them and they enabled pull request
>> testing for SymPy and it's invaluable. We also use
>> our custom sympy-bot (https://github.com/sympy/sympy-bot) to test pull
>> request, but now
>> when Travis can do that, we might just use that.
>
> We have a version of that: after Aaron Meurer gave us an invaluable
> and detailed report on how you guys used it, Thomas Kluyver built for
> us our new test_pr script:
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/tools/test_pr.py
>
> which we regularly use now in most PRs, e.g.:
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/2015#issuecomment-6566387
>
> It has proven to be *extremely* useful.

I see, yes.

> This is some of the infrastructure that I hope we'll gradually start
> using across all the projects (the topic of some of the threads in the
> numfocus list).  In IPython, our ability to rapidly absorb code has
> improved tremendously in part thanks to the smooth workflow these
> tools give us; just in the month of June we've merged 116 PRs totaling
> over 400 commits:
>
> (master)dreamweaver[ipython]> git log --oneline --since 2012-06-01 |
> grep "Merge pull request" | wc -l
> 116
>
> (master)dreamweaver[ipython]> git log --oneline --since 2012-06-01 | wc -l
> 438
>
> There's no way to keep that pace unless we can really trust our
> testing machinery to let us know what's safe by the time we get to
> code review.
>
> As our tools mature, I really hope we'll start using them more across
> different projects, because the benefit they provide is undeniable.

Thanks for the write up. Yes, I have exactly the same experience
with SymPy's pull requests. So I have personally spent
a lot of time trying to streamline the process and making sure
that we can trust it and so on. My bet is that Travis CI
will be *the* tool of choice for most projects at least on linux,
to test the pull requests.

Ondrej