[Numpy-discussion] Meta: help, devel and stackoverflow

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:07:46 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM, srean <srean.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> In case this changes your mind (or assuages fears) just wanted to
> point out that many open source projects do this. It is not about
> claiming that one is more important than the other, nor does it
> reinforce the idea that developers and users live in separate silos,
> but more of directing the mails to different folders. No policing is
> required as well, just reply to the author and to the appropriate
> list.

Yes, I know this split is common, but I don't think it works very well.

I see that sympy, for example, has only one mailing list, and that
works extremely well.  I'd be interested to hear from the Cython and
IPython guys as to whether they feel the user / devel split has helped
or hurt.  Ferando? Dag?

And I continue to think it sends the wrong message.

My impression is that, at the moment, we numpy-ers are trying to work
out what kind of community we are. Are we a developer community, or
are we some developers who are users of a library that we rely on, but
do not contribute to?  The split between a 'user' and a 'developer'
carries an idea that is very important - exactly now.  So, I
(personally) think that exactly now we should not do this.   Maybe
later when we've really confronted the - ideas - that are the source
of the current trouble.

See you,

Matthew